Tuesday 25 October 2016

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Book Title: Shatter Me (#1 Trilogy)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Genre: Science Fiction, YA
My Rating: ♥ ♥
Source: Own it.
Goodreads, Amazon UK

Goodreads Summary: The last time she touched someone, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
What did I think? I was looking for some light entertainment and that's exactly what Shatter Me offers. It's also a quick and easy read. So far so good.

The writing is too flowery (and filled with unnecessary similes and metaphors) but I didn't mind the stream of consciousness throughout the book.

Sadly, there's not much of a story to be found in this one though, and most of it is dull. It's the same old dystopia, and so far there's almost no world building and whatever we get to see isn't very believable. It's the same old romance, with the same old triangle.

The main character has unexplained powers, that (again unexplained) don't affect her love interest. She's just as flat and annoying as other YA heroines, though I did not dislike her.

The ending is wide open and the book doesn't stand on its own. I am however curious enough to pick up the other books in the series, because I've heard they get better.

Shatter Me isn't a disaster, but it's far from being good.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's so sad. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this - I think I've heard good things about it and it's on my own TBR. :(

    Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try. You might like the way it's written. You'll know what I mean after a few pages of the prose...

      Delete