Wednesday 1 March 2017

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Book Title: Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Genre: Fantasy, YA
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥
Source: Library
Goodreads, Amazon UK 
Goodreads Summary: Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:
Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)
Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)
Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)
Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.
I read this as part of the fantastically diverse challenge by Uma @ Books.Bags.Burgers

What did I think?

I'm not really sure how to explain my thoughts on this book.

Especially because everyone is in love with it and I'm just over here giving it three stars.

Bardugo portrays diversity in a fantasy setting, which is such an important thing. A diverse cast from different ethnic backgrounds and they're well rounded, natural and come with a lot of depth.

In fact, it's a great book. It has a terrific story and the writing is tight. The prose and pacing are both excellent and I thought the characters are well written, likeable and have a lot of depth. The world building is impressive, fresh and highly creative. There's great banter and the dialogue flows naturally.

All good things. But.

It's just not really my sort of story, I guess? I couldn't really bring myself to care about the success or failure of the heist. I enjoyed the ride. I enjoyed the story. But I wasn't invested...

Does that make sense?

So, I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who likes fast paced YA, who likes a good heist story and who is looking at reading some more fantasy.

9 comments:

  1. Aww I'm sad you didn't like SoC that much but yes I totally understand about the book not being your type. I mean I've read a lot of books where everything was pretty good but I wasn't invested! I'll be reading the book later this year..I ope I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to hear what you think and glad you stopped by :)

      Delete
  2. I want to buy this book so badly because of the red and black page edges :) BUT I have a rule not to buy anything unless it was a 5-star review for me. My fantasy allergies are acting up very badly yesterday so I had to put this one aside. I couldn't connect with it either. I'm thinking maybe late spring I'll try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I love buying books because they're shiny and pretty. I like your way of only buying books if they are a 5 star review for you! Try again!

      Delete
    2. ha! here I'm again. I forgot I had already read this review ;-)

      Delete
  3. It's actually good to read a review that isn't totally raving about this book for once. Although you do say it's awesome so hopefully it's my scene even though it wasn't yours. I think it might be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by :) I can't wait to read your review!

      Delete
  4. I've been a little hesitant myself because even though I keep hearing how great the book is, I'm not really into heist stories? So I agree with Di above, it's nice to see a more measured review. I'll probably still read it since I won Crooked Kingdom in a giveaway, but I'll go in with my expectations in check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to hearing what you thought of it :) it's a good book, definitely. But heists just aren't my thing...

      Delete