Tuesday 9 May 2017

TTT (15) - Things on my Reading Wishlist

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Follow the link to know more about the meme and join up, it's a great way to find out more about the book blogging community.

This week the theme is: things on our reading wish list. Tropes, characters, settings etc. This week's post by The Broke and the Bookish post can be found here.

Lately I've had the impression that I'm not really sure what I want more of. I seem to read 8 books at the same time and depending on mood will jump from one to the next only to change books again after reading a chapter. But there's definitely a few things that I can think of to put on this list.
  • Morally Grey Characters. Battlestar Galactica did this so well. And to a certain extent Game of Thrones.
  • Well Developed Villains (that are maybe even super likeable). I like to root for a villain.
  • Anti-Heroes. They're much more complex and interesting than the simply good ones.
  • Defrosting the Ice Queen. I like when the protagonist has to work their way through some walls to get through to their love interest.
  • Parallel Worlds. I love stories with alternative versions to our own world.
More like these, please.

  

What are things you want to read more of? Share your lists with me!

16 comments:

  1. I saw this elsewhere but I totally love a good villain story that makes them so much more of a real character that one can understand. Parallel worlds are cool too and same for anti-heroes they just work out so well! Basically I love you list and want these things myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I think authors often forget (and I'm guilty of that as well in my own writing) to add the same depth to their heroes as they do to their villains.

      Delete
  2. Yup, I often find myself rooting for the "bad guys" - they're so often more complex and interesting than the "good guys"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a well developed villain! It makes them scarier and more interesting if there's more than just an evil laugh and nefarious plan. I'm also a fan of the melting an ice queen. So often in fiction it's the man who has the walls so it's nice to see that mixed up a bit. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just like walls in general to overcome in general, peeling the layers away is always so much fun.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to see more of all the things on your list!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/09/top-ten-tuesday-106/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I totally want these things! Especially morally gray characters and parallel worlds. Parallel worlds can be so interesting and trippy sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parallel worlds when done well are really interesting!

      Delete
  6. Parallel Worlds are often interesting reads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. From reading your list, it seems apparent that you love complex characters. Morally grey, anti-villains... I'm with you on a protagonist that has to work to get to know the love interest. So much more interesting (and realistic) than insta-love or characters who just instantly open up and share all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, complex characters! Always :) and I can't stand insta-love.

      Delete
  8. Morally grey heroes are the best, and I love a good parallel world/ alternate reality story. Well developed villains as well- villainy for villainy's sake can be so boring, but if you can understand the villain's motivations and even sympathize- love stories like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motivations always makes everything so much better!

      Delete
  9. Yes to all of them! I, also, love to root for the villain so I definitely need more developed villains in my bookish life! I've only read one series that features alternate universes and absolutely loved it so I definitely want that to become a thing too. Fantastic list!

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all about Villains and anti-Heroes! sometimes heroes are BORING! :) OMG I loved Red Rising SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete