Monday 14 August 2017

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Book Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: Fantasy
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Source: Library

Goodreads, Amazon UK

Goodreads Summary: Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...
Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

What did I think?

I borrowed this from the library whilst ill because I was looking for something light. I knew there was a chance I wouldn't like this book and I must admit that I was on the fence for many pages... then the mystery around the ancient curse is revealed and I loved every single word of that reveal.

I do think the beginning is a bit slow and it took me a while to get into the book but that reveal 100% made up for that.

A Court of Thorns and Roses is a Beauty and the Best retelling and I carry a torch for fairy tale retellings. Fayre is a great protagonist, a bit on the stubborn side but likeable and kicks ass. I love that the faeries can't be trusted and Maas's world building is solid.

There's romance, of course, and I enjoyed it a lot. At no point did it make me feel frustrated and with these books the romance often is what makes or breaks the story for me.

However with A Court of Thorns and Roses, what made it for me is definitely the reveal of the backstory around the curse.

The prose is nice and easy and I managed to read the book in just a few sittings. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys fairy tale retellings and likes romance and handsome men in their fantasy. 

8 comments:

  1. I always like faeries that are on the shifty side or can't be trusted. Glad this one worked out! The worldbuilding of these does sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Olivia :) I didn't like when I read it, but I agree about the world-building. And I loved the parallels to the original fairy tale!

    Great review :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand not liking it, and I was on the fence as well. I always have trouble reviewing a book that is outside my comfort zone, because I'm aware when I pick it up that it's outside my comfort zone? If that makes sense?

      Delete
  3. I think that's why I haven't been able to red this one yet! It does start so sloooow! and fairies are not may fav creatures so that's why I'm one of the few outliers that haven't read it yet. I'm glad you did enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy but when this one came out I was just hooked by the synopsis and the factor of the Beauty and the Beast retelling. It did have a slow start but I still was immersed in the story quickly and it ended up being one of my favorite books of 2015. Same with the sequels last year and this year. Such a solid series.

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this book as well, for pretty much all of the same reasons you mentioned. The second book is even better too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh - one of my favourite series of ever! I'm glad you enjoyed the first one but I'm also a bit worried about what you will think of the next one! That's the turning point of this series I think. I found it even BETTER than the first book, but I know a lot of people fell off the boat there!

    I actually really want to reread this one! I'm holding out until my box set arrives one day. :) I've preordered it so I can't wait to receive it when it's out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hit and miss about Maas's Throne of Glass series (in some ways I was obsessed with it, and in others I hated it), so I am unsure about this one. Have you read her other books?

    ReplyDelete