Wednesday 7 February 2018

Iron Gold by Pierce Brown

Book Title: Iron Gold (Red Rising #4)
Author: Pierce Brown
Genre: Sci-Fi
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Source: Library

Goodreads, Amazon UK

SPOILERS FOR THE ORIGINAL RED RISING SERIES CAN BE FOUND IN THE GOODREADS SUMMARY.

Goodreads Summary: A decade ago, Darrow was the hero of the revolution he believed would break the chains of the Society. But the Rising has shattered everything: Instead of peace and freedom, it has brought endless war. Now he must risk everything he has fought for on one last desperate mission. Darrow still believes he can save everyone, but can he save himself?
And throughout the worlds, other destinies entwine with Darrow’s to change his fate forever: A young Red girl flees tragedy in her refugee camp and achieves for herself a new life she could never have imagined. An ex-soldier broken by grief is forced to steal the most valuable thing in the galaxy, or pay with his life. And Lysander au Lune, the heir in exile to the sovereign, wanders the stars with his mentor, Cassius, haunted by the loss of the world that Darrow transformed, and dreaming of what will rise from its ashes.
Here are my reviews for Red Rising, Golden Son, Morning Star.

What did I think?

I am always worried when I pick up a sequel to a beloved series. Worried I might be disappointed or that something terrible could happen to some of my favourite fictional characters.

Halfway through Iron Gold a certain disappointment did start to seep through. I felt like I wasn't connecting with the book and the characters. Thankfully, the second half of the book grabbed me and by the end I was excited to read more.

A similar thing happened with Red Rising. I liked it but didn't love it, and then...Golden Son blew my mind.

Iron Gold is told from the point of view of four characters and not just Darrow like Red Rising. At first I didn't really care much for the other characters, and because the first half is mostly set-up and moves considerably slower than the second half it wasn't until much later that I discovered that I was suddenly attached to everyone.

Pierce Brown's writing is elegant. He excels at fast-paced action scenes and can really crush your heart with emotional moments.

If you liked the Red Rising series don't hesitate and give this one a try.

4 comments:

  1. I was excited to see your review for this one. Not so much for myself (I haven’t read the series) but for my husband. He really enjoyed the first three books and I have this one on reserve for him at the library right now. I was surprised when I heard about this one because I thought this was to end as a trilogy. Glad that the second have picked up and that you were able to connect to the new characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there was supposed to be another book but then he decided to add a new trilogy that plays 10 years later!

      Delete
  2. That's is how I felt with the Golden Son that's why I haven't continue this series even though I LOVED book 1. Glad you enjoy it. I will definitely give the series another try. It is tru Pierce writing is exceptional. My favorite male author voice of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read Golden Son! It blew my mind!

      Delete