Saturday 15 April 2017

Morning Star by Pierce Brown

Book Title: Morning Star (Red Rising #3)
Author: Pierce Brown
Genre: Sci-Fi
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Source: I own the Kindle version

Amazon UK, Goodreads

There are NO spoilers in this review which is why I'm including the summary of the first book. Review of book #1 is here and book #2 is here.

Goodreads Summary: Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations.Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.
But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity already reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow—and Reds like him—are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.
Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power.
What did I think?

4.5 Stars.

Honestly? The second book in the series is the true highlight, at least in my opinion. But I must admit, this is one of the best series I've ever read.

If you love Sci-Fi and Space Opera do yourself a favour and read the Red Rising trilogy. It's not YA, so don't let that put you off. Yes, the main character is 16 years old in the first book but he's older in the sequels and the story is far too gritty and dark to pass as YA.

The series is full of plot twists and amazing action scenes. It offers a deep and compelling story with believable characters, intriguing political narratives and a main character who makes morally grey decisions. I absolutely love Darrow because he is flawed and hot-headed and makes the wrong decision more than once but he is also strong and courageous and ultimately believes in the good in others. Gaining strength to overcome oppression without losing sight of loyalty, friendship, family and love is an important theme in the entire trilogy.

I was hesitant to read Morning Star at first, not because I was worried I wouldn't like it but because I didn't want it to be over. Pierce Brown tied everything together in the last book and I'm satisfied with the ending.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing absolutely no spoilers in your review! Red rising was on my TBR and even more so now reading this. It sounds like a series I really need to get into!

    Wonderful, wonderful review. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) btw. I loved it from the very beginning pages on but a lot of people said it only picked up from them around 30% in so definitely push past those in case you are unsure about the beginning!

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it this much! oh I can' wait to continue with this series. I LOVED Red Rising so much. I loved Darrow too. I agree with your description of Darrow. He is one of my fav sci-fi characters and Pierce is one of my fav sci-fi writers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely agree with you on Darrow and can't wait until Pierce Brown writes the next book in the universe!

      Delete
  3. It's such a great feeling (and a relief!) when a series ends well. There's always that chance of it ending and you feeling total disappointment. The worst! But it's so satisfying to feel like you took a journey with the characters and saw it through together. :) I'm so glad this one ended well for you!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete