Tuesday 30 January 2018

TTT (23) - Books I Can't Believe I've Read

Once upon a time Top Ten Tuesday was hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Now, it's moved to the wonderful That Artsy Reader Girl. The rules can be found here. And this week's post here.

This week the topic is Books You Can't Believe You've Read.

There are many books I can't believe I've read, mostly they're the Classics kind that I struggle with today, but, somehow, as a stubborn child was able to push through and enjoy. Of course, there's also books completely out of my comfort zone that I can't believe I've read, because...well, they're not what I'd usually pick up.
I can't believe I read Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children simply because it took me several tries. I tried it first at the age of eighteen. Again at the age of twenty-five. And then finally got through the book at the age of thirty-two. But damn, the struggle. It's such a difficult book for a non native speaker and I was too stubborn to pick up a translation.

Open by Andre Agassi: I don't read biographies and when my book club picked this one I inwardly groaned and no, I did not enjoy the experience. However, if you're interested in Agassi, it's a good book.

And, I almost never read Harry Potter because I was a cool teenager who didn't do hype. Ugh, everyone is reading this, so I definitely won't. Thankfully, I did pick it up and fell in love.

Prada & Prejudice: I'm not a fan of chick lit and have hardly read any chick lit, but I could not stop myself from picking this one up because of Pride and Prejudice. Damn my Austen addiction. Same reason I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I can't believe I read Piccoult's My Sister's Keeper because it has the worst ending ever. Deus Ex Machina like it's defined in the dictionary. Such a great premise, such a great story and then the author did not dare to choose an ending.

Dark Lover: I don't usually read paranormal romance. Especially not one where the main characters are called Wrath, Thorment, Rhage and Phury. But guess what? I love this series. My guilty pleasure.

I still can't believe I got through this at the age of eleven. I'm pretty sure falling in love with Audrey Hepburn's Natasha was the reason. I'm currently re-reading this one to see how much went over my head back then.

What about you? Let me know in the comments.

8 comments:

  1. I can't believe I read War and Peace as well! I think I read it in my twenties, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you ended up reading Harry Potter! I'm maybe one of the few who actually likes the end of My Sister's Keeper, it makes perfect sense to me.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/30/top-ten-tuesday-144/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not good with classics either, I wish I would have read more of them as a kid because no I shy away. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same happens to me... so I'm glad I read a lot of them already!

      Delete
  4. I've not read many classics since college but some day I really would like to attempt War and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo! Congrats on making it through War and Peace. I still have never tried on that one. I would like to, but I will admit that I am intimidated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In addition to judging books by their covers (guilty!) I also judge titles. And if a books has a silly or punny title... nope, can’t do it. Like the Prada & Prejudice one. I would roll my eyes at that one and move along. I can’t help it. Silly title are such a turn-off for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you decided to read HP! and LOL! those Vamps names Wrath, Thorment, Rhage and Phury.! I couldn't get over it! It was a DNF. I have regretted it every time I see all the great reviews this series get :)

    ReplyDelete