Friday 23 February 2018

House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds

Book Title: House of Suns
Author: Alastair Reynolds
Genre: Science Fiction, Space Opera
My Rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Source: Own a paperback copy

Goodreads, Amazon UK

Goodreads Summary: Six million years ago, at the dawn of the star-faring era, Abigail Gentian fractured herself into a thousand male and female clones, which she called shatterlings. But now, someone is eliminating the Gentian line. Campion and Purslane-two shatterlings who have fallen in love and shared forbidden experiences-must determine exactly who, or what, their enemy is, before they are wiped out of existence.


What did I think?

Right after finishing, I declared this may be my favourite read, since I first came across Pride and Prejudice two decades ago, which means a lot, trust me. Don't worry though, this is NOTHING like Pride and Prejudice.

House of Suns is something special. Filled with wonders and surprises. A story spanning millions of years and several galaxies. It took me a few chapters to wrap my head around the world; it's a lot to take in at first. Afterwards, I couldn't put it down. I just ploughed through, savouring each word.

Alastair Reynolds' prose is just as wonderful as the world(s) he's created. I'm gushing, I know, but I can't help myself. I'm in love with this book.

I didn't know anything about this book when I started reading it and I'm glad I didn't read any reviews, because I feel like it's best experienced blind. Just dive into the galaxy and trust Reynolds to tell a compelling and captivating story.

The characters are all amazing and somehow Reynolds wove a love story into this tale that made me weep.

I recommend House of Suns to all sci-fi fans, especially those of you who love space opera. I wish I could give a sixth star!

2 comments:

  1. Yay Olivia I'm glad you fell in love with this one! It sounds so intriguing, and the title is so awesome, too. And I love when you have no expectations and are simply swept away. That's an amazing feeling :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what high recommendations! It sounds awesome although sci-fi space operas are really not high on my read genres. I guess I'll keep this in mind just in case I decide I love them one day!

    ReplyDelete